It’s always difficult to juggle the big and small projects with a schedule that keeps me moving. Small ones fly off the needles as I move between appointments and rehearsals, and large ones fill my lap when I sit and catch my breath. This week has seen endless rehearsals and many performances (of the Philadelphia Orchestra’s premier of Jennifer Higdon’s “The Singing Rooms” with the Philadelphia Singers Chorale), so I’ve had to do my knitting in the interstices …
I’m especially pleased to have finished the first set of dpn caps based on this vintage pattern, the Knitted Punchinello Caps for Knitting Needles, c1890, from The Ladies Treasury. With a set of 2.00 mm (Size 0) dpns, a bit of leftover Trekking, a plastic cork and a couple of hours, they were breeze to complete.
I experimented with the tops, attaching a button to one end (from which I cast on, through the button’s holes!), and a knitted “button” on the other end. This set just fits my 5″ needles, but I’m ready to make another few sets with some of my silver cord, once I get my hands on some sturdier short steel needles and a few lengths of elastic cord.
In addition, I managed (just about) to complete the second sleeve on my son’s Cobblestone Pullover, finished another couple of inches on my DIY Peasant’s Cap (it would have been nice to have had it to wear against the bitter cold wind today), and began yet another brioche beret, this one requested by a fellow singer (based on Nancy Marchant’s Rooftop Beret pattern). My second Clapotis has grown by three inches (nearly ready for it’s first dropped stitch); this project is especially nice to take out when time permits, since the Handmaiden Kidsilk is so splendid to handle. I still need to add the buttons to the pair of Saartje’s booties finished for a rabbi’s new daughter, but the matching Sweet Baby Cap
and Toasty Topper for her “big” (toddler) brother are ready for delivery. I used some lovely Nature’s Palette (Oddfellows” colorways) for the cap, and a skein of Encore Colorspun Worsted by Plymouth from a more ancient corner of the stash for the helmet.
Charity knitting is seldom absent from my tote, and I’ve also managed to complete a couple of hats to contribute to an upcoming Ravelry collection for the local Women Against Abuse project, organized by a local member of the City of Knitterly Love group. This little pink Noedel by Andrealea worked up quickly with some leftover Ejido 160. A half-finished blue Zeebee by Schmeebot should keep an older child very warm – it’s made with three strands of mystery Takhi tweed from the stash (re-purposed from a frogged cardigan begun decades ago for my husband). These little hats, and the many booties that accumulate in my basket, are among the most satisfying to execute in the interstices of the day or evening; I never seem to tire of making these for the small people I imagine wearing them. And of course finishing them slowly and steadily reduces the piles of UFO’s and stashed yarns.